Family! I got the package! haha gum and the pictures! it is so sweet to have the pictures and mom thank you for the letter I loved getting that package so much! The clouds move so fast here in Ghana, guess they got somewhere to Go, but its raining small today and I love the rain.
Well this week was the beginning of my second transfer as a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
On tuesday I found out that my companion was getting sent to west adenta and that I would have a new companion join me here in cantonments, Elder Caleb is now serving with our friend Elder Aleman! so that day we went and saw a few people and he said good bye to them and we extended baptismal dates for Linda and Latisha (the bishops referrals) for sept 29th the same day that Sav will get her blessing! I'm so excited for you sav :)
Wednesday was the day of transfers so I biked our area to say good bye with my companion, we went all over! I was so tired but my day had just started. we made it back to the apartment and said good bye and then I went over and met my new companion... drum roll please.... Elder Udofia! he is this sweet guy from nigeria! he has been on mission for one more transfer than me, so in other words an elder who has just finished his training is finishing mine. So I am basically in charge since he doesn't know the area, so we went and taught some good lessons to people, including Linda and Latisha.
Thursday morning elder nelson shared with me the title of this email. he said that feeling came to him at the beginning of his mission, and it has made such a big difference for me. We taught a man we met named kweku, which means he is wednesday born, like me! i am kweku asomogyn. I always get people to laugh at that one because he is a famous footballer down here, so i say "me frema kweku." they say ah hu (in this way funny way that I will show you when I call home because it is the best sound, i laugh because it is just how you say you understand or agree, like saying "ya") "ya kweku asomogyn" and they all go "asomogyn?? hahahah" it is a great way to meet people then I ask "mami pakye, yo fro a din?" (sister please, what is your name?) and they answer and I use my small small twi to introduce our selves and then we talk about the gospel. man I love the greetings here, I wish you could all experience it somehow. but anways we went and taught marcus and he is reading the Book of Mormon small and it is making a big difference, man I pray everyday for that guy, i don't love everyone yet, but i do love him and if it isn't me that gets to baptize him that is okay, as long as someone does. But later that day we went to the manu family home and after we went with the assistants to a dinner at bro. robinson's house. he is an american living here with his family as a government finance officer. pretty sweet job and his house had carpet! and we had tacos and talked about the work in the ward and it was such a sweet night, i got sooo full! man that was a little slice of america right there.
So on friday we went to see emmanuel and daniel one last time. they were going to be baptized but they had to leave to there home village a week early. i was so sad to see them go and i pray the missionaries up there can get a hold of them. we sent all the info to them so hopefully they do. but we taught them and had a way sweet lesson about the book of mormon and likening the scriptures, there is such a power in teaching from the book of mormon. use it everyday you guys, that is such a blessing we have. that night we had an open house with native dance and music, it was so cool! I got some video but my camera died! so i didn't get all i wanted but i still enjoyed it. we walked out to linda and latisha that night, which took forever but it was good.
saturday morning sister Judd (the mission president's wife) came and joined in our companionship study. she taught me some great lessons and it was so nice to have here there. so we talked about being poor in spirit, which means that you arent feeling the spirit in your life, and coming to Christ regardless (3 nephi 12) in the sermon on the mount in matt 5 the term "come unto me" is not found which is a pretty big plain and precious truth the devil has removed. and for me this was a big lesson because for some reason, this week was hard that way for me. we went and taught some great lessons though and met with a man who was having problems with giving into women. so it was really great to be able to promise him that the book of mormon could help him overcome this and we are working with him now, it is just great to really help improve something you can so visibly see. i talked about controlling your thoughts and changing the 'channel' in your mind. it was a great lesson.
Sunday morning Desmond was confirmed! and i was the voice for the confirmation which was such a tender mercy. 'the power of Godliness is manifested in the ordinances thereof'. i felt it running through me, and speaking forth a blessing for him, i love being a priesthood holder, the service you perform is incredible.
I spoke with bro. robinson about home teaching in the ward and he said he I had the feeling too so i typed up a list and this afternoon we are going to get that started. so i'm pumped for that! after church we got some food and the song I hope they call me on a mission came on my ipod. it was the version from the rm so i did a funny video that you will all see one day and just enjoyed that moment. I had some of the peanut butter mom sent. thanks so much mom!!
we then went out and contacted and met some great people, including a lady named Doris. so i joked with her about being my mom's favorite actress haha she was so sweet, just sitting there 'driving' the fufu while her daughter was pounding it. we always offer to help but not everyone wants an obruni to pound because they think i don't know how.. (evil laugh) but i do! haha so we came back that night and had interviews with our d.l. Elder Nelson. me and him are great friends and i love this guy (elder Rob nelson from arizona) anyways we talked about the week and I told him that i had been struggling to feel the spirit and he talked about how he had felt the same at the beginning but he gave a man a blessing and it brought it back in a huge way because he felt it in his whole body. he said he didn't even speak, when he heard his voice it was powerful and eloquent and the man he blessed never drank alcohol again. so that is the short version but I asked him, because i felt prompted to, to give me a blessing. he agreed and when he did he spoke of how God would never leave me alone, how he was pushing me not past my limits but to where I would be molded into the man he knew i could be. that I would be an example and rock for my family, he metioned specifically Landon, who would have the light and courage he needed to serve faithfully his mission. That I would lose my self in the work and love the people.
Guys that is all I want, to be the missionary, to be the man God knows I can be. and I will be. this is the opportunity of a lifetime. Landon, get ready, and give it all you got.
I know the Church is true, I know my Savior lives as does my Heavenly father, that he is ever aware of our needs, no he never leaves us alone. Ever. Each step you take he is there waiting, no other thing or person can help you in any lasting fashion. This church is true.
I love you all so much and I hope this week is truly incredible. let Audrey and Spencer and the fam know I pray for them each day and wish them the best in all of those situations. my heart is with them. I would love it if someone could send me the song 'concerning hobbits' and maybe some things from those old journals i had. I love to hear testimonies especially from missionaries, so you know if the r.m.s of the family want to send those that would be sweet.
But I love you and God is with us.
Give it all you got
Elder Logan Gerret Van Wagoner
No comments:
Post a Comment