(Written December 2, 2013)
So I guess November is done! That was a quick month. Surprised to find myself in December. That also means that I have been a missionary for about 4 months now... what do you know... 4 months.
Well Tuesday was a pretty normal work day. We had coordination meeting. After the meeting, Corney brought us some baguettes back form Togo! The best part is I was the only one who liked them in our apartment haha That night we met with a less active girl named Abigail. She sells shoes from Togo at the road side. (everyone sells something at roadside). She introduced us to her friend who serves killy whilly (deep fried plantain with plenty ginger). Her name is Phillipa. Every night since we pack her stuff, which she stows in our compound. I took up the habit of carrying the huge bowls on my head, which is something only Ghanaian's do. So everyone gets a good laugh from the yeavuo who is carrying. I love it though! We meet a lot of people this way. Phillipa is really grateful to and she is so sincere. Her spirit is true.
Wednesday was a bit slower but in the evening we got to be in charge of mutual. So we made this sweet scripture chase game and everyone loved it! If you answered right you got a chance to shoot a bean bag (a sock we filled with rice) into one of our washing buckets. Dina hit one from the 2 point line and everyone was so excited! I may have jumped up too... haha But Bernard (This small boy who was baptized two weeks ago) hit from the three! He is so shy that he ran when everyone cheered! haha.
We sat with Esinam that night and she is preparing to be baptized in two weeks! She is really sweet too us and is helping to stitch some of the gifts I am sending home.
Thursday was funny because I found out I was going on exchanges with a french speaking elder from cote divore. His name is Elder Grissignon. That was funny. We met Faith, a recent convert in the morning. Then we went to get Kente from a man named Holy. Kente is the traditional fabric, native to Ghana. I can't even explain how they weave it because I don't even understand how it is possible.. but they do. So I got some sweet Kente for everyone! I think you will like it? Hopefully haha but I think it is sweet!
Well the exchanges ended and that night we went up to a somehow hotel called 'Bob Coffie'. We heard they had burgers so we went to get some, for thanksgiving, with the other elders in our apartment. We sat enjoying the place and talking about Ghana. They brought the burgers and they had no meat. We asked them and they said 'you ordered the cheese burger.' So we had cheese, and no meat haha! We finally convinced them that a burger should have meat, but we still had to pay an extra four cedis. I noticed we weren't being overly grateful so I suggested we go in a circle and each take turns saying what we were grateful for. We said we would go maybe two times. But we went again, and again, and again. As the Thanksgiving went I felt the Love of Christ. I am grateful for my family, for the Book of Mormon, for the Savior. We talked about many things and why. I am grateful for my mission, it is something I won't ever be able to bring others to understand, because everyone has their own mission, and some things are just for us to experience. I feel like for every one door I open five more are beyond.
But that was a night I will never forget, a true Thanksgiving in Ghana.
Friday was crazy. We had five lessons before we even left Housing (our neighborhood)! That was around 2. We got to sit with Corney and talk about making the choice. Pray for him everyone, and for his mom to come around. We taught Phillipa too. She has an honesty within her, it is wonderful. But she told us she will be moving soon. Not going to lie. I am heart broken. I pray she will be able to have this gospel. She is ready and deserves it.
Later that night we had a dinner with the district and the couple missionaries. They cooked up some chicken and vegetables and I thought I would pop! It was sooo good! Then the packages came from you all!! So I could only eat like one thing and that was it! Eating the processed food is funny for us. So we haven't made to big of a dent because it fills you like automatically. haha.
Saturday was a good busy day and we got to pack Phillipa's stuff again. Man I am really going to miss her. She deserves the best of whatever is waiting beyond.
Sunday we showed 'the testament' and everyone really enjoyed it. All right next week everyone! Love you all but my time is up in 10 seconds!!
Elder Van Wagoner
No comments:
Post a Comment