(Written December 16, 2013)
I am a blessed Missionary. This week was one of those you wish you could share with everyone.
First off, I don't know if anyone in the Robinson family reads this blog. But I want you to know that I am praying for you. I love you. God Loves You. 1 Nephi 11:17 I don't know why things happen, I would never pretend to understand all of it. But I do know that God loves all of his Children.
If someone paraphrases this for them, please let them know that there are prayers said, far away as Ghana, for them. Mom I hope you share that email I sent you with them. Could anyone provide me with their address?
This week is another of many parts that has built my testimony of God's love for each person. I saw it on both sides of the work this week, those who entered the fold and one who wouldn't, hopefully just for now.
Elder Jones had to travel to Accra for Zone Leader Council. So I was in a triple combination with Elder Hancock and Johnson for a few days. One night we went to meet a lady named Gina. She has been investigating for a while, I have heard her name since I came to Ho. Both the Elders have worked hard for her, even their families spoke to her over facebook.
She was doing good and even had a baptismal date. Then she didn't show up to church for three weeks and slowly got farther away. The Elders had come to a point where they had to 'drop' her.
Dropping is the worst part of missionary work. Seeing her was taking away from others who would listen. So they had to tell her that they wouldn't be coming to teach her anymore. I had to be there for it though.
As we talked with her, and tried with everything we could to help her feel loved and feel a desire to come to Christ, she was pretty unaffected by it, at least that I could see. It came to a point where there wasn't anything left to say, we had done all. But I could feel the weight in the air. In all seriousness the Heavens were saddened. This was a daughter, who wouldn't come home. Hopefully just for now.
For missionaries we can't be here with people forever, but members can. Home and visiting teaching is so important. It is not going to teach a lesson! It is going to love a family and be their friend, it is bringing them the love of God. The Spirit will teach them what they really need. The greatest home teachers are not scolding for not coming back to church. They are a bridge for them to feel the love of God. It is not 'finished' or 'done' each month. It is either 'current' or 'not current'. Home and visiting teaching is a work, love, and friendship never finished.
I invite anyone who reads to consider how we can magnify our callings. There are people who need you right now.
As for the week, Saturday was one of the most incredible days I have ever known.
The morning started off disappointing. The baptism was cancelled since we couldn't get a key to get the robes. Ceaser was really down, he had been walking to the church. Freda, or Esinam, were also down.
That night we went to see her. She looked, sad, broken, ready to give up. As we talked with her there was a lot of silence where there is usually laughter from her. 'Elders, next week then, not this week for baptism.' She left to grab something. As she came back outside, and sat down again we had a conversation completely from the Spirit. There is no way I could have found those words. The Spirit confirmed that she had been hurt by someone close, but that she also wanted to be baptized, truly from her own heart. So I expressed this impression to her. She paused and said 'O it was nothing.' We waited, Elder Jones and I expressed our love and concern for her.
I saw the Scriptures sitting on the table. I knew if I opened them the words would be there. They landed in the Doctrine and Covenants. Maybe section 59? One where the Lord councils a man who has seen sorrow to repent and be baptized. I put her name in instead of 'James'.
I knew God was pleading for her to come to him.
She began to speak of how the members she was staying with had gotten angry at her for a joke she said. She is usually light hearted and very humorous. We talked about how we knew she still wanted to be baptized. That she knew this was right. Esinam agreed she did. Suddenly another prompting found Elder Jones. 'If you come to the Broadcast tonight (the CES one) you will hear the words you need.'
I saw a light catch in her, a fire revived. Like hope was still there. The Spirit confirmed that tonight would be far greater than I had expected.
We quickly left since it was about 5:45, and we picked up Ceaser as well. The ride was quite and the walk to the Chapel, both looked worn out. As the four of us sat down to watch the talk even mentioned 'think of all the troubles that disturb you or weigh you down.' The fireside had points were video clips were shown. Many spoke of Relying on God. As it went on they both turned and said 'Can we be baptized tonight?'. The key was here now and Elder Cosgrave was there. We organized a program and ran to grab the baptismal clothes for Elder Jones.
We returned to everyone preparing and took pictures out in the dark night. The service was so sweet, the spirit was so strong. It may have been dark, but there was a light amongst us. There was more than short lived excitement within them. They were very determined and certain of the choice. That meant much more to me.
As they came out of the water, they truly seemed to be different people. It was the most incredible service I have seen. The next day I was blessed to confirm Esinam and be in the Circle for Ceaser. Esinam had stitched a dress and was very serious about the confirmation, she glowed with it. She invited her sister to attend and she did. Ceaser's father came too. I feel that these two are true converts.
I made myself remember the details of that night. The clouds, the full moon and stars. The old baptismal font, to be replaced this week, used one last time. I wish I had more time to express all of this but my time is up.
I love you all and so does God.
Mom happy Birthday!!!
I love you from Ghana and back and to Eternity
Love,
Elder Van Wagoner


No comments:
Post a Comment