-Myrna
(Written January 6, 2014)
![]() |
| The African "Skye" |
Over 5 months ago I entered the Ghana Accra
Mission. It has been an experience I will always fall short of, in terms
of eloquence, to describe. Words can not do the justice needed to bring
the understanding of the day to day, minute to minute life I have seen.
Yesterday popcorn 'popped'. Yes, the Popcorn! Skye Kamdyn Maxwell was born at 5:55 on the 5th of Jan. From the pictures I have seen, she is just as beautiful as I knew.
Some
of the sweetest and most tender moments came with her. I have had the
privilege of serving with her here. Several occasions stand out clear as
day. So maybe I'll mention a couple.
Nearly 4 months ago, as I biked the streets of Cantonments, Accra, I
prayed for any help I could get. That day was a tough one. Some of the
most serious prayers I have said came on the back of that bike. I felt
an answer almost immediately. There was a light and a warmth within my
heart, and popcorn was by my side. I wish there was words I could use
that would make you felt what beautiful spirit was there.
The title from this email, comes from the Ghana
phone service 'MTN'. They are not by any means the best or most
reliable. In fact we cannot, for the life of us, figure out why they put
us on contract with them. However, as you make a call, there is a start
up tone. The MTN ladies voice comes on and, instead of a ring, you hear
these famous lines: "Everywhere you go, there is always sky (Skye).
Big, Beautiful, endless sky. Just look up into the Sky and take a deep
breath.. *breathes deep*..."
The line carries on longer about calling your friend and telling
them 'next time you look into the sky, pick up your phone and call a
friend. Tell them, just how Beautiful the Skye is.'
Yes the Ghanaian sky is beautiful, but there are not words for Skye. I
will always remember playing the guitar the night before I left, and
knowing she was right next to me. That was the first time I knew she was
a girl.
This week we were able to teach a lot of great
people, have some cool lessons and work hard. One very sweet moment came
the day after I prayed to exercise my priesthood more. So the next day
as we were getting some food, a taxi with a load of wood drove by. The
wood fell out and all over the street. We ran over and started to help
them pack it back up. As we did I received the pure knowledge from the
Spirit. That this was a direct answer to my prayers and I was using my
Priesthood. The understanding came so strongly and surely that I don't
think man, in any words or language, could explain, in any adequacy, how
pure the knowledge was.
It was so simple, but so wonderful. I am very blessed. As I look
back on that moment, that was one last day with Popcorn, or as she is
now known, Skye.
Skye, I hope one day, be it a
long time from now, or sooner, that you will read this. I want you to
know that I love you and will be grateful forever. You carried me on in
some of the darkest times, you have already been and will yet be a light
unto all who see you. Even a lower light whose good works others see
'and are lead to glorify your Father, who is in Heaven.' I want you to
know that through you the promises of the Lord were kept as we learn in
the Doctrine and Covenants. The Lord did send 'Angel(s) round about [me]
to bare [me] up'.
I know this Church is true, that Jesus is the Christ and he lives. I
know that the promises of Heavenly Father are fulfilled, always. I know
that you are an Angel sent from God.
I don't have all the
time I wish I did but even if you won't remember all these times, I
always will. Thank you, with all I have.
You said goodbye and woke me up before you came. :) I love you.
Family I love you forever, from Ghana and Back and To Eternity.
love,
Elder Van Wagoner
p.s. Elder Jordan Wells, 'ye elder of Israel come join now with me' and all of us serving the Lord our God.

No comments:
Post a Comment