Monday, March 23, 2015

Presiding is President Uchtdorf



(Dress Patterns for Mom to choose from :) haha )





(11/24/15)

Okay so this week was pretty sweet, lot of meetings, but still prayers were answered in so many ways! One of those weeks when I am excited to tell you about it haha

We had our zone conference and Stake Conferences this week, which took the better part out of three days. That definitely didn't help us get to everyone we needed, but the meetings were great and I felt such a good Spirit as we attended. But that's normally how I feel, wishing for more time. Still we were able to do a lot of good with the time that we had, had some solid lessons and contacted some cool people.

Found out some concerns with Eric and Barbara. Barbara's husband doesn't mind her going to church, but says when he comes back to stay for a while from New Jersey, that they will go to Catholic. She isn't even Catholic, she goes to presby. The concern with Eric is that of not understanding the principle of agency and how it works with the Atonement. He feels that unless the Spirit tells him to do something that he doesn't need too (common issue in Ghana by the way). We didn't get to address that this week though, found out at the end and couldn't meet again. This week we will people to though. 

On a brightside, Corny came to Stake Conference! He met us on the way and we went the rest with him. He seemed to enjoy it and hopefully will be coming again. This is the guy I met with Elder Jones when we served together in Ho! 

Another special moment was giving Stanly his triple combination. He had been asking and we couldn't get them for him, since no one was going to Accra. On Saturday I got one from the Sisters in Madina (Sister Bekele my mtc mate! She is legit!) We took it to him that night and he just slowly went through the title pages and pictures and just took it all in. I never realized how lucky I was that the bible was not the only book I knew, since Birth! The bible isn't even the best one! I always knew that and he just got to take it all in. It was a very sweet moment for me. I love the Scriptures and Stanly does too, which made that day so sweet :)

The Stake Conference was so sweet though! We get there super early and finally it starts. President Kabason get's up and I was like 'why is he conducting?' Then he says 'Presiding over this Conference is President Uchtdorf of the First Presidency.'!!!!!!!!! So 30 minutes in we start a video. Elder Gay (former mission President of Ghana Accra Mission), a lady from the primary presidency, Elder Bednar and President Uchtdorf spoke! I loved the video session and it was an answer to my prayers. We are usually ignored when we tell people it is against church standards to do certain culture things and they disregard it. I have always prayed an apostle or someone would stand and do exactly what they did on Sunday. Pretty great example of how God can answer our prayers through his Authorized servants. 

They got up and each on addressed an issue in Africa, everything from Bride Price, lazy husbands, people being 'busy' when really they are just lazy (busy stands for being under satans yoke according to Elder Gay). It was so awesome!! They finished them in the most loving and wonderful way! It was like Christmas had come a month early! Just like the Apostles would send the episltes to try and remove apostasy from the church in different places in the new testament, we got our very own here in Africa!

I know that sounds somehow weird or lame that I would be so excited, but like, if you were here, you would see it was the coolest thing ever!

It's incredible how prayers get answers, you never really know how or when it's going to come.

We tried Sister Heid's idea she gave at zone conference of asking someone if they were a Mormon Bishop. Passed by a guy and his wife at the station after Sunday's conference. Thought 'hey a family! We should talk to them.' Went back and greeted them, then said 'Sir, are you a Mormon Bishop?' He looked at me confused and then said 'No, I am a pastor.'  hahaha it was such a funny moment. Well we tried to keep the contacting up, only had time to give him a pamphlet and our number before his tro tro came and they left.

Sweet week though and the work is going forward, thanks for the love and support!

Dad thanks for the email, that really means a lot to me. I feel so grateful to have a dad like you, especially with the dads around me that I see.

love you all forever, from ghana and back and to eternity!

Elder Van Wagoner

p.s. Elise you are my hero :)

No comments:

Post a Comment