April 14, 2014
Got some really cool emails from home today, haven't really cried a lot on my mission but some days are just special. It is my grandpa's birthday. He would've been 82. I remember when I arrived in Ghana, my very first night in the field. It had hit me that I was not going home for 2 full years. It seemed like 18 years of build up just collapsed all at once.
Before leaving on my mission, I had looked to RJ, Ryan and Jordan as we rode home from our farewell talks, in Rj's car. I remember clear as day saying, everything is so peaceful and calm, everything is nice right now. 'It's as if we are in the eye of the storm.'
Before I left we had all been tempted and tried and even discouraged at times, when I came it was much harder than I had anticipated.
Elder Caleb had gone out of the room for something, shower I think. I kneeled to pray and offered one of the most sincere prayers for my family that I can remember. As darkness seemed to have fallen for the first time their came light as someone walking in the storm. The 'billows' surged and 'whirlwinds' were fierce. But, the hand that was on my shoulder was steady and sure. Just as that hand had always been in life. I knew without a doubt I was in the company of my Grandfather. I did not need to open my eyes to move, just to be there. A Heavenly Blessing was placed upon my head and I stood.
In the field I have been blessed time and time again to feel the presence of Heavenly help, most especially from the family, the Plan of Salvation is real and beautiful.
Landon, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I LOVE YOU!!!!! I heard about the note, But I think you know we were never two brothers that were great at sappy words. What I would give to be more like you.
Had an interesting week with the Kpong District Conference.(no you don't say the K in Kpong) Met some great people and cool families. Hoping to see them coming this Sunday. One lady, Kafui, and her Husband John are actually former investigators form years ago. They can't remember the missionaries name but they know the church. I saw her son come in and jump up to be held by her. Really touched me seeing the family love. A really good family, I left a Priesthood blessing, as taught by our mission president, that the Spirit would touch their hearts and they would feel a desire to be an eternal family. That's what everyone needs.
We have been working with a great couple, Adolf and Patience. Really smart couple. Real good people. They brought up a lot of questions about T.B. Joshua (A false prophet in Nigeria) and other people. They haven't been reading the Book of Mormon so they can't see how there could be just one true prophet or that the saving ordinances are in one place. Is it wrong to be frustrated with these false churches from time to time? They have deceived my friends.
Jeoffrey was offended by a member. The only thing was there is no reason to believe that what he was saying was about him, just that he is becoming increasingly paranoid as his marriage is failing. We want to bring a member who almost didn't join because he was offended by the same member. The time we came though Jeoffrey had traveled. Wish we could work more with the wife but she doesn't want us around and only speaks ewe, another reason we want the member to come, hopefully this week.
Jeoffrey was offended by a member. The only thing was there is no reason to believe that what he was saying was about him, just that he is becoming increasingly paranoid as his marriage is failing. We want to bring a member who almost didn't join because he was offended by the same member. The time we came though Jeoffrey had traveled. Wish we could work more with the wife but she doesn't want us around and only speaks ewe, another reason we want the member to come, hopefully this week.
Makafui will be baptized on Saturday! She is so strong and loves reading the Book of Mormon. She was at conference, her brother (A member, Hanson) thought she had been taken since they couldn't find her. She had just left early to not miss the tro tro and was lying on a bench in the chapel at 5 in the morning.
Elder Monday and I were working with more unity this week. Got him to be more involved with planning, which also boosted our teaching since he felt more ownership of the plans. Other than that I think he is doing well. Still learning how to teach people not lessons. Sometimes they don't give us much to work with. But this week I think we will focus on asking inspired questions. One good think I have noticed about him this week, he will use stuff that I teach people with other people we teach. So one of the ways to help is I'll make a focus on asking more inspired questions this week.
District Conference was one of the most tender mercies I have ever experienced as a missionary. Seeing everyone come in; I wonder if General Authorities feel that way watching Conference fill up. It was the most beautiful thing I have seen in Ghana. Standing to the side I watched as person after person entered. The choir was singing inside, no it was the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, it was the Kpong YSA choir and it was beautiful. I wish everyone could experience something like that. I wish I could have that forever.
District Conference was one of the most tender mercies I have ever experienced as a missionary. Seeing everyone come in; I wonder if General Authorities feel that way watching Conference fill up. It was the most beautiful thing I have seen in Ghana. Standing to the side I watched as person after person entered. The choir was singing inside, no it was the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, it was the Kpong YSA choir and it was beautiful. I wish everyone could experience something like that. I wish I could have that forever.
We shook hands with as many as we could. Tro Tros were unloading and our branch filled 2 of them (nearly 50 branch members came!!!!!!!!!). Felt like things were right. Made it all worth it. I learned some useful things from the talks that I hope to apply in teaching, they apply to Ghana not as much to teaching in America. Except when President Judd taught about how there are 613 commandments in the Scriptures and that the 10 commandments are a perfect summary. One example 'Thou shalt not kill' The word of wisdom is an extension of this since when you break it you are killing yourself.
Side note: the Hebrew translation of the text for the commandment would be more accurately translated as 'murdered' not 'killed'. So when Nephi kills Laban it is in accordance with the commandment. The true purpose of commandments is to help prepare us for a higher law of doing whatever God asks at which ever time he may ask it.
Another thought: The reason that the baptisms haven't gone up is because, it is the Lord who hastens the work, not us. We need to be worthy to keep up with the hastening. Take a look at 2 Nephi 25: 22-23 The Lord moves his work according to his will. Also later in 2 Nephi 26: 23-28. That is what the work is all about.
Sav, I am so excited for you to be SBO you deserve it and you are so wonderful!!! :) I love you!
Everyone have a great week and keep on smiling, life is as beautiful as we make it :)
love you from Ghana and back and to Eternity
Elder Van Wagoner


No comments:
Post a Comment