September 1, 2014
Mom note: sorry about the delay. Life has been a little crazy. Hope everything is good for all of you! Fast day is on Sunday and if you could remember Elise and Matt and their little baby in your prayers and fasts, we would be oh so grateful. As I read this letter I am so grateful for the family I was raised in and the much bigger extended family I have now. Grateful for the love that was and is always extended to me. Thanks everyone. We are all so lucky to have the family that we do. Love, Myrna
The end of another week in paradise, a new one about to begin. Somehow exciting to think about what I will write about next week. This week we are going to see some people soon and so I will have to cut things a bit short, sorry mom!
Elder Dube came this week, we traveled to Accra at like 4 in the morning to get there and it was sweet! We had some really good instruction about working with our members and making lasting changes. One thing I love about these special meetings is they bring a new focus and help me get the right perspective back.
His wife is awesome, she was so humble and good for her instruction and it really touched me. That is the type of woman you will want after the mission, someone who is willing to give her whole heart to our Lord.
I sat by Elder Strong for the first meeting since my companion was not a part of that meeting. We stayed in our seats for the second meeting and got called up to do a role play together! Just like the MTC again!! During the role play we were addressing a family concern with the Book Of Mormon (best book on earth). Elder Crisp and his wife were the 'investigators'. Elder Crisp is our office couple and they are awesome, he got chocked up and couldn't keep reading after a point in the verse we shared. A reminder of what message we are really sharing: The Gospel of Hope :)
This week was promising. We were able to coordinate a bit more with our members and I am still working on the assignment to take our Bishop out to work with us (Elder Dube assigned all the mission leaders to do this), problem is he is very busy at the area office. He did agree to meet with Matilda on Sunday, they may move it to Wednesday after the mid week program. We have a great ward here and I feel blessed to serve with them. Our Ward Mission Leader is really trying. Our Ward mission leader decided we should make a proposal for a ward mission plan for the ward council to consider when we were at our coordination meeting. We are looking at working with more part member families making it a statistic that we keep track of, as well as 'investigators with a fellow shipper'. Hoping that these can improve our efforts with the Ward.
Stanly came on Sunday and so did a man from Mali named Ezekias. Ezekias is learning English and is really excited about the gospel. Sunday school was about temples and he wants to go there so bad! Really excited for this guy, he is moving though and so we will have to refer him. It was nice having Elder Grissignon around to teach in French when he got confused. We have been teaching a lot of french people lately, feels weird, like I am the one learning the language. Interesting perspective for me to see from though.
We went to Adenta to play sports with the two zones today. I forgot to pick up elder Grissignon's wallet as we were leaving and as we were walking away I remember and we went back for it. Some kid had taken money from it and the kids around the park took us to go and find him. When we did the neighborhood was looking to beat the kid. I got caned a couple times as they tried to hit him and got me instead. Took the canes and broke them and threw them away. Told them to not beat the kid, that we forgave him and they should try and talk it out with him. He was like 5.
We keep working with Matilda, she feels just like my sister. She has lost a lot of weight too and my heart aches for her and her two daughters. Definitely getting brought down, just praying for her. I write 'Money is Cheap' because most of the mans concerns involve money issues. Anyone can make money, just depends on what straw they drew with life, the cards they were dealt. Yet Character, is not cheap, it is worth something that makes you realize money is nothing beside it, a non-existent thought. We are so beyond blessed to have this gospel and to have the families and the situations that we do. Nothing could be worth so much as a family in which is infused the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
These things have been weighing on me. I used to want to go home, during my training, but now I don't want to go. There is so much work to be done here and they need it so much. I see a bit more of what the Savior see's with me and others now 'Hating the sin, Loving, with ALL you have, the sinner.' Mission means a lot to me. These People mean the world to me. I just hope that they can feel that, and that the Lord will work through me and despite all my weaknesses. This truly is his work.
I don't like sending home things that sound negative because I don't want anyone to get a negative perspective on Ghana. These People have more good than bad in them, the whole world does :) . I am so happy to be here with them. Most of our problems come from this: Not smiling. Please 'Scatter sunshine, all along your way.'Elder Dube came this week, we traveled to Accra at like 4 in the morning to get there and it was sweet! We had some really good instruction about working with our members and making lasting changes. One thing I love about these special meetings is they bring a new focus and help me get the right perspective back.
His wife is awesome, she was so humble and good for her instruction and it really touched me. That is the type of woman you will want after the mission, someone who is willing to give her whole heart to our Lord.
I sat by Elder Strong for the first meeting since my companion was not a part of that meeting. We stayed in our seats for the second meeting and got called up to do a role play together! Just like the MTC again!! During the role play we were addressing a family concern with the Book Of Mormon (best book on earth). Elder Crisp and his wife were the 'investigators'. Elder Crisp is our office couple and they are awesome, he got chocked up and couldn't keep reading after a point in the verse we shared. A reminder of what message we are really sharing: The Gospel of Hope :)
This week was promising. We were able to coordinate a bit more with our members and I am still working on the assignment to take our Bishop out to work with us (Elder Dube assigned all the mission leaders to do this), problem is he is very busy at the area office. He did agree to meet with Matilda on Sunday, they may move it to Wednesday after the mid week program. We have a great ward here and I feel blessed to serve with them. Our Ward Mission Leader is really trying. Our Ward mission leader decided we should make a proposal for a ward mission plan for the ward council to consider when we were at our coordination meeting. We are looking at working with more part member families making it a statistic that we keep track of, as well as 'investigators with a fellow shipper'. Hoping that these can improve our efforts with the Ward.
Stanly came on Sunday and so did a man from Mali named Ezekias. Ezekias is learning English and is really excited about the gospel. Sunday school was about temples and he wants to go there so bad! Really excited for this guy, he is moving though and so we will have to refer him. It was nice having Elder Grissignon around to teach in French when he got confused. We have been teaching a lot of french people lately, feels weird, like I am the one learning the language. Interesting perspective for me to see from though.
We went to Adenta to play sports with the two zones today. I forgot to pick up elder Grissignon's wallet as we were leaving and as we were walking away I remember and we went back for it. Some kid had taken money from it and the kids around the park took us to go and find him. When we did the neighborhood was looking to beat the kid. I got caned a couple times as they tried to hit him and got me instead. Took the canes and broke them and threw them away. Told them to not beat the kid, that we forgave him and they should try and talk it out with him. He was like 5.
We keep working with Matilda, she feels just like my sister. She has lost a lot of weight too and my heart aches for her and her two daughters. Definitely getting brought down, just praying for her. I write 'Money is Cheap' because most of the mans concerns involve money issues. Anyone can make money, just depends on what straw they drew with life, the cards they were dealt. Yet Character, is not cheap, it is worth something that makes you realize money is nothing beside it, a non-existent thought. We are so beyond blessed to have this gospel and to have the families and the situations that we do. Nothing could be worth so much as a family in which is infused the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
These things have been weighing on me. I used to want to go home, during my training, but now I don't want to go. There is so much work to be done here and they need it so much. I see a bit more of what the Savior see's with me and others now 'Hating the sin, Loving, with ALL you have, the sinner.' Mission means a lot to me. These People mean the world to me. I just hope that they can feel that, and that the Lord will work through me and despite all my weaknesses. This truly is his work.
love you forever, from Ghana and Back and to Eternity!
Elder Van Wagoner


No comments:
Post a Comment