mom note: sorry for the overload from Logan but my dad informed me I missed this sending this one..I don't know how that happened.. well I do because I'm a spaz and that's just how I roll! This was his half way letter which was back on July 25th and one of the pictures is the box we sent. He's moved to Kwebenya and apparently they have a beauty supply store..not sure what in the world he would be doing there but...he was. And lastly at one of his baptisms. Clearly based on the one pic he hasn't lost his ability to be goofy. whew!!
This week I have had a song stuck in my head. Elder Jensen will remember it for sure. Glass of Water, by Coldplay. I've been scared to say I am over the hump because hump has a downside. So I'm trying to keep a glass half full look at things. I should just be getting better at missionary work from here.
Very hard to believe it's been a year, but sure enough you really do wake up one day and realize you have been here for a year. Got out from under the mosquito net, saw the phone on the desk and the date: 26 July 2014.
We had some funny things happen this week, met some cool people. One guy we met, Brother Joseph, didn't really want to talk at first. His cousin is like half jamacian/american and ghanaian. As we talked you could just see a light come on, at the end he said 'I am filled.' with a smile on his face. Not sure where this will go but praying for the best!
One day we had a lot of things go wrong and lot of things not work out. Good example was this: As we walked out onto the street and started going up towards the ashongman estates area an old lady came up to us. She was missing a toe, but you could tell the injury was very old and didn't affect her anymore. She came up trying to scam us and when I would say 'Ega melio, or menti Sika!' (ewe and twi for I don't have money) she would just shout and beg again and again! We tried to walk past her and then she grabbed my companion and was trying to hold him back. Crossed my mind that I may have to physically remove her, but didn't want to go to that. So we stepped back and pulled her off than pretty much pushed on past hahah. Everyone was laughing at us and we were like.. what were we supposed to do? Punch her? haha scammers.
On a brightside, Samuel was baptized on Sunday!! The baptism was a little noisy and I had to have the baptist repeat the prayer about 5 times but still, he was baptized!! It was light off on saturday so we couldn't get water, confirmation will come next Sunday. When it's light off the pump for the polytank doesn't work and, unless your tank is elevated, you can't get water. Samuel brought his sister and we had his uncle do the baptism it was great!
Adwoa came to visit too, she is living in Accra right now since all the polytech schools are on strike. She was in a neighboring ward but came for the day to visit me, awesome to see her!
That same day I got the package!! The Achimota elders had to go to accra for a dentist appointment, they picked it on the way back. Sunday I went to interview them and check on them. Got the package while I was there, it's huge!!! We opened up some cookies and downed it in like 2 seconds. Looked at the t-shirt and we all died laughing haha The letters are so great, thank you everyone for writing to me. Landon's talks brought some tears, so did the stories of others and the photos of Cole's scans. The little ketchup bottle is awesome haha it's just tiny I love it!! Thanks for the temple photos too, they are incredible!! The article about religion in Ghana made me laugh because they got it very wrong haha you just have to live here to get it. Thank you so much for the package though family, I love you guys so much :)
Also that Sunday we went to the Sackey's house. The one with the lady named Myrna. They gave us a great rice meal and talked about visits they made to America. They even went to Bountiful one time! Great to have members finally invite us over :)
The actual year mark day was pretty normal, did a lot of contacting. Met Joseph though. When we got home that night I sat in our compound playing guitar looking at the Sky(e). Played some old things from home and wrote a song about the glass being 'half full'. Life should be half full. It was meant to be loved. I sang about my family and got to think about a year gone by.
Sometimes you wonder if you are changing enough. Doing enough. Becoming what you are meant to be. Sometimes I wonder if I am at the point God wants me to be, or if I have fallen behind. You would think at a year that you would be some spiritual giant or something. I have changed a lot but mostly I feel like me. Maybe the most important part is usually I haven't been thinking of me. Because it turns out that it never has been, nor never will be, where you serve. It is, and always will, have to do with who you serve and how.
When you open up your mission call, I wish I could have told myself, the place doesn't mean much, but who is there does.
Mission is a beautiful and wonderful thing. Made so incredible by the sharp contrasts, different experiences, and people you get to be with.
Family I love you all so much. You mean the world to me and thank you so much for caring enough for me to have made it here. I hope you know how grateful I am for all you do, that I pray each and everyday for you. Let the Holy Spirit Guide, till we meet.
I love you forever, from Ghana and Back and to Eternity.
Elder Van Wagoner
No comments:
Post a Comment