May 5, 2014
Happy almost Mother's day everyone! Hope you're all praying for your mom's and sending her some love this special day. What an awesome time we have to celebrate some of the most incredible people to have ever walked the Earth. Looking back to the first parents, the ancient of days and his wife, Adam and Eve. They set an incredible example for us, choosing something absolutely essential over something that was good. Being courageous enough to accept the challenges, the heart break, everything, so that 'Man might be.' What an incredible gift. The only gift they could offer that lasts, or that is ours to give: our Agency.
Briefly about my week. Things were going well with Elder Luke Aheebwa Monday (Santio) from Uganda, and myself for the past two or so weeks. Felt like we were coming to a new high in our companionship. Thursday we were moving to an area called Dome (said like Dough-may). I looked at the phone and saw the Ap's were calling. "Elder Van Wagoner, how are you and your companion?" "Doing fine thanks, how are you?" "Good! Can we speak with Elder Monday?"
I thought crap I am going to get emergency transferred and they want to let him know he will be the senior in Ho 1a now. Then, Elder Monday paused and said "O... okay... okay.. ya I can do that." He seem pretty down as he handed me the phone. The ap said "Elder Van Wagoner, an elder who left the mission a while ago is back. He is going to be in Senchi. Your companion will go to Accra. Your new companion is Elder Turley who is serving in Senchi."
Well that was pretty unexpected. And, more than I thought it would be, a tough pill to swallow. President Uchtdorf said "We are made up of the stuff of Eternity. Endings are not our destiny."
We may have had a rough start, but we had a great finish. Maybe that is why he had to go. We finally had things coming together and going well. He is my friend and I am grateful to have been his companion and learn what I learned with him.
Elder Turley seems pretty cool. Only been with him for like two days but we will have a good time together. Time for a new adventure.
The work in Ho is interesting. We seem to have a few really good people we are working with. But some of them are getting dropped. They can come to church once or even twice, but then disappear, or their ability to commit does anyways. On top of that we are really struggling to get people to fellowship those that come to church. The youth always do a great job, and even the young single adults are very welcoming and inviting, they really set the example and I am so grateful for them. Many of them are new converts and understand and help out. Just seems like even if we bring people to meet people, introduce them at church and all that as well, that people are having a tough time reaching out to them. I know it can be difficult, and as a missionary you don't always have a normal perspective. Still now is the time for us to come together and rescue our brothers and sisters.
If you see someone in church who is new, less-active, alone, shy. Be the one. Be the one that comes to them that reaches out as they make such big steps and try to follow Christ amid the almost unbelievable adversity some of them face in coming to Christ. We often forget how difficult that journey is.
One really tender mercy came last night as we met with Gifty. Gifty is the sister to two recent converts, Rebecca and Faith. As we learned with her and pointed out the Spirit that she was feeling we had a very good lesson with her. At the conclusion she was looking down and hiding her face after the prayer. I wasn't so sure why, so we chatted a bit with the Cosgraves (the lesson was at their place) we had a break in the conversation and I noticed, she (Gifty) was crying. She said "Everytime I learn about this Book (the Book of Mormon), something inside tells me to learn more. It makes me feel happy." As she prayed she said, in affect, "Thank you for bringing this to me. For helping me to understand something more. I want you to make me know it is true." It was so sincere and honest. It has been such a blessing to teach her. Her heart has been truly softened by her sisters.
We also have been having great lessons with Derricks and Raphael and even a new person, Nana Ama. These four people have really come out as the most committed of those we are teaching. They all came to church on Sunday too!
I am enjoying Ho and grateful to be here. Looks like I will be here for a while longer too since Elder Turley will only be here for about 3 weeks before the next transfer. Really grateful for more time to make a difference for people I care so much about.
Well mom I love you so very much. Thank you for taking care of me and helping me with everything. Thank you for allowing me to come to Ghana. I really love you and hope that I can be everything you think I am, or tell people I am. Thank you for always having my back, and defending me in every and any situation. You never let fear decide your actions with me.
Ashley happy first mothers day to you too!!! Congrats on having the cutest baby on the planet and for being such an incredible example. I pray for your family daily!
All you other soon to be mothers happy mothers day!!!!!!! I love you!
Love you from Ghana and back and to eternity
Elder Van Wagoner


No comments:
Post a Comment