Monday, September 22, 2014

God Blessed the Rains in Africa

Mom note: Logan hit nine months last Friday. In Logan's words..BooYah!!!!  We got to talk a lot today. He seems really to have his feet on the ground..kind of a point I've personally being waiting to feel.  Like he was happy for real not just because he wanted me to not worry. There is a huge difference from a mom's perspective. He says his dreams are a lot more serious. I asked if he was more serious now..he said he tries to be about important things but he is really just still a goof (I told him good!) . He and and the other 8 missionaries I get letter from all talk of getting the people to commit to showing up for church..seems like such a simple thing, but obviously it's a real stumbling block that is used against people to slow their progress.  Guess it's a good reminder to do the simple things. Oh and this is important: ASHLEY AND JORDAN ARE BLESSING SKYE THIS SUNDAY AT 1 AT THE CHAPEL NEXT TO OUR HOUSE!!!!!  We know we have other blessings and such going on that day so please know you are invited and we would love to have you but don't feel pressure to be everywhere that day.  It is what it is.  We love you no matter what!  Grateful for such a great family and many friends.  Love, Myrna





Written: April 28, 2014

Good Evening! How are you?? I am fine, and you? I am also fine, thank you. (Conversation with people who speak ewe, not English) Pretty sweet week everyone. Had some awesome rain storms, thus the super original and never thought of before subject line.

Happy Late BDAY BASH!!!! I LOVE YOU!

Didn't get to send pics last week so here is the one from Makafui's baptism. The other elders baptized Bright. Both are referrals from our youth. Our branch is so backwards but our youth are bomb! Makafui and Rebecca wanted to teach Rebecca's uncle with us on Saturday. We went over and this huge family was there. Only three people spoke English. So the girls translated for us as we taught. They were not overly serious, except a couple of them, and Makafui was fuming. haha.
One lady did the typical, 'yeavoo you are from America?' I answered "yes ma." "then take me to America when you are going, okay??" So I just calmly gave the 'okay i'll put you in my bag' (referencing my shoulder bag). Handled the hecklers as calmly as we usually do.
Afterwards Makafui was like, I can't serve a mission. So I asked why. She said she got so angry and was so frustrated by the quick questions they kept asking (Some Ghanaians love to ask a bunch of questions that are not really related, a big part of conversations is hypotheticals here, like 'what if you have a friend and they want you to do this and that'). I had to laugh because that is exactly how I was when I stated my mission. Never realized how many reasons there are to come and serve a mission till now. So to everyone serve a mission, and DON'T WAIT TILL YOU HAVE A TAG TO BE A MISSIONARY.

The rain that came up on Wednesday was out of control. The thunder sounded like a cannon going off in your ear. We were trying to get places and it was like crossing rivers where there had been a path. All the paths and roads are so worn down that the rain has this perfect paths it flows in everywhere. We met one family as the rain just made it impossible to hear each other. The lady spoke french and ewe too. Well it is lights off as well so it looked like midnight outside.

We left and the lightning continued, Ghana lightning is beautiful. Yes, more beautiful than the lightning in US. It lasts forever, chaining across the sky. One road we came to was covered in trees and the drivers were not happy hahaha.

The next day we were going to a lesson and we were passing Calvin's house (my first recent convert in HO). We looked across the way, his roof was gone! Not a very sturdy house to say the least but all their stuff was strung out across the area, they were trying to dry it all. Helped them as much as we could and the roof is back on now.

Sunday was a downer with people not being able to come. But Rebecca and Faith's sister moved up to HO. Her name is Gifty and she came to church with them. We taught her later that day and it was sweet, we watched the Restoration film at the Cosgraves (Mom note: this is a missionary couple that helps the elders over there and who I personally want to hug the stuffing out of), and the Spirit was tangible. She said "I think this church is real"..... booo yaaaa!!!!! set a baptismal date for may 24 and we are excited to be teaching her.

I know Joseph Smith is a prophet of God. There is a difference between good and true. This Church is true. There is a difference between faith and belief. Faith is action. I have faith that Jesus is the Christ. This is his work, his hand his overall.

I love you all very much! Thanks for the support, have a great week!

love you from Ghana and back and to eternity!

Elder Van Wagoner

No comments:

Post a Comment